Bulgaria's President: Russia Is Trying To Divide, Weaken Europe
Europe has not gone back to the Cold War, rather it has been involved in a new, dangerous confrontation with Russia which we call “cold peace”, stated Bulgarian President Rosen Plevneliev in an interview for BBC on Friday.
In the interview, Plevneliev warns that Russia is trying to divide and weaken Europe, and insists that Europe should react firmly to Russian influence in Bulgaria and the continent.
According to Plevneliev, the main instruments which Russia uses in Europe are financing populist political parties and extremist movements, leading mass propaganda and destabilising its opponents via cyber attacks.
The threat nowadays is not for Russian tanks to invade Europe but for Russian influence to divide the continent, added the president.
“Today, the game is not for a large-scale war and shooting at the enemy; Mr Putin’s game is to make other countries dependent. Today, Russia is trying to weaken, to divide Europe and make us dependent.”
It is very important for Europe to have a firm and stable policy regarding Russia, concluded Plevneliev.
- » Bulgaria has One of the Strongest Employment Growth Rates in the EU for the Quarter
- » Bulgaria is Among the EU Countries with the Highest Number of Old Aircraft
- » Kristalina Georgieva: I Expect Bulgaria to Enter the Eurozone Waiting Room Next Year
- » Bulgarian PM: EU integration of the Western Balkans Would be Among the Priorities of the Bulgarian Presidency of the EU
- » Maria Gabriel: An Expert Group at European Level will Make a Common Definition of the Issue of False News
- » Minister Pavlova: Bulgaria is Completely Ready for its EU Presidency
We can not forget that Russia have chosen its allies and they are Greece and Serbia.. and even in the case of good Russian intentions their intentions are not good sometimes... but we do have respect for Russia and do not need a president that ignore this... we need a president that is able to say No to foreign powers and protect the national interests.. not someone that is repeating like parrot statements invented in someone\'s NGO\'s .