Bulgarian Movie 'Losers' to Compete for Oscar with 84 Titles
Karatsi ("Losers") of Ivaylo Hristov is among the 85 movies vying in the Foreign Language Film contest of the 89th Academy Awards.
The Bulgarian title was awarded the Golden George prize at the Moscow International Film Festival (MIFF) last year. It tells the story of a secondary school student and his life as a loser in a small Bulgarian town.
The Academy has said it will announce the shortlist on January 17. The ceremony is scheduled for January 26.
Other titles in the Best Foreign Language Film contest include I Am Nojoom, Age 10 and Divorced (Yemen), which deals with child marriage; Smrt u Sarajevu ("Death in Sarajevo"), which traces a 100-year history of conflict; and Luxembourg's Voices from Chernobyl, based on a book by last year's Nobel Prize winner, Belarusian non-fiction writer and investigative journalist Svetlana Alexievich.
- » Theodor Ushev Shows for the First Time in Sofia an Immersive Art Installation and a Mixed Reality
- » "The Shape of Water" Took the Award of American Film Critics
- » Modigliani Art Exhibit Found to be Full of fakes
- » An Interactive Exhibition Will Welcome the Guests to the Opening Ceremony For the Bulgarian Presidency of the Council of the EU
- » "Rolling Stones" have the Most Successful Tour of the Year
- » The Alternative and Experimental Iranian Singer SEVDALIZA Comes to Sofia