US Ambassador: 'Ridiculous' for Bulgaria Not to Maintain Ties with Russia
The US-Russia dilemma of Bulgaria is a false one and Bulgarians should disbelieve anyone telling them they are facing this choice, US Ambassador Eric Rubin has argued.
It is a mistake to state that Bulgaria cannot have good relations with Russia if it has such ties with the EU and NATO of which it is a member, Rubin has said in an interview for private bTV broadcaster.
He has opined that the country should try to have good relations with everyone, but should do so while clearly indicating it is a member of the EU and NATO and this is the choice of the Bulgarian people.
His comments are in response to a statement that Russia's presence is expanding in Bulgaria and a question whether the US is losing the battle for presence in the region.
The Ambassador has also fended off claims of lack of fresh US investment into the country, saying it is valued at BGN 1 B for the last 3 years according to the commerce chambers data. The money was allocated to sectors such as agriculture, technology and research and development.
He has refused to comment on the chances of the Bulgarian candidacy for head of the United Nations, Irina Bokova, saying Washington would not make any statements on the race before it is over, since the process is not public.
- » Sacred Language of My Predecessors: An Exhibition on Croatian-Bulgarian Parallels
- » Ilham Ahmed: Sudan Wants to Revive Ties with Bulgaria at All Levels
- » Iraq's Embassy Hosts Photo Exhibition in Support of Mosul Offensive
- » Rajesh Kumar Sachdeva: Bulgaria Emerging as Destination for Indian Film Industry
- » Bulgaria, Sudan Mark 60 Years of Diplomatic Relations
- » Irit Lillian: History Should Not Be Most Important Element in Israel-Bulgara Relations
"Russian arrogance"? What about "American friendship", the only true road to hell, imho? Better to be the eternal slave than.....? Not denying but invitation for meditation.