Unique Byzantine Coin Discovered in Bulgaria's Balchik
Bulgarian archaeologists have unearthed a medieval coin depicting Emperor Nikephoros II Phokas (910s-969) in Balchik, by the northern Black Sea coast, local media report.
Next to the emperor is Virgin Mary.
The golden coin has been discovered in a state that would allow it to be exhibited "immediately", news website dnes.bg quotes the head of the Balchik museum as saying.
The rare find was unearthed during a summer training of Archaeology students from the Sofia University St Kliment Ohridski which took place at the Horizont fortress.
Horizont ("Horizon") is the biggest 6th century fortress known to have been built on Bulgarian land.
- » Large Medieval Gold Treasure Seized from Treasure Hunters in Bulgaria’s Kazanlak
- » Archaeologists Find Statue of Egyptian Goddess Isis, Satyr’s Head at Roman Villa, Nymphaeum in Bulgaria’s Kasnakovo
- » Bulgaria’s Plovdiv to Buy Back Roman Forum of Ancient Philipopolis 15 Years after Selling It
- » Archaeologists Have Discovered a Unique Statue of the Goddess Isis
- » Ancient Thracian Warrior’s Grave Containing Gold Plated Beads Found near Bulgaria’s Black Sea Town Primorsko
- » Bulgaria has Presented the Episcopal Basilica of Philippopolis and the Antiquity Mosaics to UNESCO