Unique Byzantine Coin Discovered in Bulgaria's Balchik
Bulgarian archaeologists have unearthed a medieval coin depicting Emperor Nikephoros II Phokas (910s-969) in Balchik, by the northern Black Sea coast, local media report.
Next to the emperor is Virgin Mary.
The golden coin has been discovered in a state that would allow it to be exhibited "immediately", news website dnes.bg quotes the head of the Balchik museum as saying.
The rare find was unearthed during a summer training of Archaeology students from the Sofia University St Kliment Ohridski which took place at the Horizont fortress.
Horizont ("Horizon") is the biggest 6th century fortress known to have been built on Bulgarian land.
- » 13-year-old Boy Unearths Lost Treasure of 10th Century Danish King
- » Red-Figure Krater Unearthed in Bulgaria
- » Archaeologists Have Discovered a Roman Tomb in the Courtyard of the Medical University in Plovdiv
- » Medieval Grave Excavated in Southern Bulgaria
- » Archaeologists Find Medieval Grave with Skeleton with Arrow in Chest in Bulgaria’s Plovdiv
- » Archaeologists May Have Discovered Ancient Thracian, Roman Town Scaptopara, Precursor of Bulgaria’s Blagoevgrad