Bulgarian Police Detain 19 Migrants near Border with Serbia
Bulgarian police have detained 19 irregular migrants in Vidin Region, near the border with Serbia, as well as a Bulgarian citizen suspected on involvement in people trafficking.
The migrants, claiming to be citizens of Syria, Iraq and Afghanistan, were found on Thursday afternoon near the village of Shishentsy, according to public TV broadcaster BNT.
News of the detention came a day after the Associated Press reported that the Serbian authoritiers had found 56 irregular migrants hidden in two vans in the eastern part of the country near the border with Bulgaria.
Irregular migrants and refugees started increasingly use the route from Turkey via Bulgaria to Serbia to reach the wealthier nations in the EU such as Germany and Sweden after the closure of the Western Balkan route leading from Greece via Macedonia and Serbia to Hungary and Croatia.
- » Iraqi Woman Tried to Enter Romania with a Passport Bought in Bulgaria
- » Father Slaughtered his Son in Novi Han
- » Prosecutor Office to Reveal Details of the Case with the Detained Policemen in Rakovski
- » Policemen were Arrested in Rakovski
- » Kidnapped Salvadorian Journalist was Found Dead
- » Two People were Detained in London on Suspicion of Preparing an Attack