Austrian Police Prevent Attempted Smuggling of 17 Migrants from Hungary
Austrian police thwarted an attempt to smuggle 17 irregilar migrants from Hungary, the AP reported on Sunday.
Police have found the people – 11 men and six women – inside a Romanian-registered vehicle stopped for a check at Nickelsdorf, on the border with Hungary. The irregular migrants came from Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria and Pakistan.
The driver of the vehicle, a Romanian citizen, has been detained over suspected people smuggling, according to the AP.
Austria re-introduced checks on its border with Hungary to curb the flow of irregular migrants in April.
- » Boyko Borisov: Europe is Under Pressure
- » NATO Ships Hold Missile Defense Drill Near Scotland, Pentagon Says
- » Juncker: If we Allow Catalonia to Separate, and Others will do the Same
- » Allies Press Catalan Leader to Declare Full Independence, Ignore Madrid Deadlines
- » France Extends Anti-Terror Border Controls
- » Sweden Market Shooting: Police Rule Out Terrorism After Gunman Opens Fire in Trelleborg