Austrian Police Prevent Attempted Smuggling of 17 Migrants from Hungary
Austrian police thwarted an attempt to smuggle 17 irregilar migrants from Hungary, the AP reported on Sunday.
Police have found the people – 11 men and six women – inside a Romanian-registered vehicle stopped for a check at Nickelsdorf, on the border with Hungary. The irregular migrants came from Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria and Pakistan.
The driver of the vehicle, a Romanian citizen, has been detained over suspected people smuggling, according to the AP.
Austria re-introduced checks on its border with Hungary to curb the flow of irregular migrants in April.
- » EU to Israel: Don't Expect Us to Move Embassies
- » German Intelligence Warns of Increased Chinese Cyber Spying
- » German Social Democrat Schulz called for United States of Europe
- » Brexit Border Deal Possible in 'Hours' as Talks Go Down to the Wire
- » Poland Ready to Defend Migration Stance in EU Top Court
- » The World Bank gives up to USD 200 Million in the Western Balkans