Bulgaria's Prosecution to Demand Custody for Mayor of Galiche
Bulgarian prosecuting authorities will demand that the mayor of the village of Galiche, Tsenko Chokov, should remain in custody after being arrested in a police operation on Thursday.
Chokov has already been indicted on charges of heading an organized criminal gang, the Chief Prosecutor's spokesperson, Rumyana Arnaudova, has told private NOVA TV broadcaster.
However, the indictment has not yet been filed with a court.
As many as 11 others were detained in the same operation, his son, Martin Chokov, being among them.
Apart from the mayor, prosecutors will demand custody for five more of those detained, Arnaudova has explained.
Separately, Chokov is facing charges of usury, extortion, and inflicting actual bodily harm.
His lawyer has told bTV station the charges are based on old proceedings that have already been suspended.
- » 15 People were Detained in an Operation of the GDBOP in Veliko Tarnovo
- » Illegal Cigarette Factory with Workers from Bulgaria and Ukraine was Discovered in Spain
- » Swedish Police Bust International Begging Ring
- » Six were Killed in a Bomb Attack in Pakistan
- » 8 were Killed and 10 Injured in a Minibus Explosion in the Syrian city of Homs
- » Shooting at Corsica Airport, One Killed and Two Others Injured