Bulgaria's Prosecution to Demand Custody for Mayor of Galiche
Bulgarian prosecuting authorities will demand that the mayor of the village of Galiche, Tsenko Chokov, should remain in custody after being arrested in a police operation on Thursday.
Chokov has already been indicted on charges of heading an organized criminal gang, the Chief Prosecutor's spokesperson, Rumyana Arnaudova, has told private NOVA TV broadcaster.
However, the indictment has not yet been filed with a court.
As many as 11 others were detained in the same operation, his son, Martin Chokov, being among them.
Apart from the mayor, prosecutors will demand custody for five more of those detained, Arnaudova has explained.
Separately, Chokov is facing charges of usury, extortion, and inflicting actual bodily harm.
His lawyer has told bTV station the charges are based on old proceedings that have already been suspended.
- » Man goes to Court in Sofia for Trying to Sell Protected Specie Turtle
- » A Dog Trader Grows Nearly 300 Animals in an Illegal Kennel
- » The Authorities Seized a Painting by Salvador Dali from Art Smugglers
- » Between 10-15% of Young People in Bulgaria Fall Victims to Human Trafficking
- » Thousands of Textile Products with the Logo of Famous Brands were Detained аt Kapitan Andreevo
- » 20 Arrested in Joint Police-Prosecutor’s Office Operation across Bulgaria