Cabinet Allocates BGN 300 000 to Global Libraries – Bulgaria Project
At its regular meeting on Wednesday, the Bulgarian government approved additional expenses under the budget of the culture ministry amounting to BGN 300 000.
The funds are foreseen for the realisation of activities under the Global Libraries programme, a continuation of the Global Libraries – Bulgaria project which was funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
The aim is to build upon the results which have been achieved so far under the Global Libraries – Bulgaria programme. A total of 960 public libraries in 911 towns and villages were included in the programme.
Furthermore, 13 942 units of computer and telecommunication equipment were incorporated and provided with internet access, 4395 of them being computers for citizens.
Under the programme, more than 3000 librarians participated in training for acquiring information and communications technology (ICT) skills and providing innovative library services.
Fifty training centres were supplied with equipment. The programme brought real and significant changes to the lives of users and librarians.
The libraries included in the programme aided the social inclusion of groups which often lack other opportunities for access to information technologies.
Thanks to the programme, librarians are now capable of consulting, training and helping citizens in the handling of information on the internet.
The culture and transport ministries, through their representatives in the governing bodies of the Global Libraries – Bulgaria Foundation, will monitor the purposeful expenditure of the allocated funds.
- » Campaign for Student Candidates has Began at Sofia University "Kliment Ohridski"
- » Over 6500 Bulgarian Students Will Receive Euro Scholarships For the Winter Semester
- » 1,200 Students will Receive Financial Support for Outstanding Performance
- » 892 Schools Across the Country are Closed Due to the Flu Epidemic
- » The Bourgas Prosecutor's Office Ordered a Check on Violence Against Children in a Kindergarten
- » In 887 Schools in the Country there are no Classes Because of the Flu