Two Bulgarians Recognised at 2016 MEP Awards
Two Bulgarian MEPs were recognised at this year's edition of the MEP awards which were announced at a ceremony on Wednesday.
The twelfth edition of the annual awards of The Parliament Magazine recognised the work and achievements of MEPs across a range of police areas.
Mariya Gabriel (EPP) was awarded in the development category, while Filiz Hyusmenova (ALDE) won the award in the employment and social affairs category.
Gabriel is member of the European Parliament's delegation to the ACP-EU joint parliamentary assembly and is currently co-rapporteur on the evaluation of the African peace facility.
The magazine notes her efforts to include more migration-related topics since 2009, long before the beginning of the current refugee crisis.
She is also a substitute on the women's rights and gender equality committee where she highlights the important role women have to play in peace building and development.
Last year, Gabriel organised a competition in Bulgaria to encourage students to reflect on the European year of development and the EU's fundamental values – democracy, human rights and peace.
Hyusmenova was recognised for her support on social equality in maternal healthcare and her efforts on ensuring adequate social support for all mothers-to-be in Europe.
She has provided a voice and rallying point for those seeking to redress the inequalities in social care between member states.
The magazine notes her support for the Alliance for Maternal Health Equality and reminds that she has personally led the call for parliamentary declaration on universal right access to maternal healthcare for all.
- » Conference on Long-term Sustainability and Innovation Infrastructures to Industry and Society
- » International Conference on the Future of Work
- » EU Presidency Puts Lagging Bulgarian Science in the Spotlight
- » The European Strategy Forum on Research Infrastructures (ESFRI) Executive Board Meeting
- » Fighting "Energy Poverty'' Will be Discussed Today at a Conference, Part of the Program of the Bulgarian EU Presidency
- » International Architecture Forum at the National Palace of Culture Dedicated to the Western Balkans