Former UN Chief Boutros Boutros-Ghali Dies at 93
The former United Nations Secretary-General Boutros Boutros-Ghali has died, the BBC reported on Tuesday.
He was 93 years old.
The announcement was made by the current President of the UN Security Council, Rafael Dario Ramirez Carreno, at the start of Tuesday’s session on the humanitarian crisis in Yemen, according to the AP.
The 15 members of the Security Council rose for a minute of silence in tribute to Boutros-Ghali.
The Egyptian politician and diplomat was the first Arab to head the world organisation.
He was the sixth UN Secretary-General, serving from January 1992 to December 1996.
- » Andronia Popova - Roni from the Indie Band Nasekomix has Passed Away Aged 44
- » Music Legend Tom Petty Dies
- » Playboy Creator Hugh Hefner was Buried Next to Marilyn Monroe
- » Playboy Magazine Founder Hugh Hefner Dies Aged 91
- » At the Age of 90, Poet John Ashbery Died
- » 20 Years Since Princess Diana's Death