Former UN Chief Boutros Boutros-Ghali Dies at 93
The former United Nations Secretary-General Boutros Boutros-Ghali has died, the BBC reported on Tuesday.
He was 93 years old.
The announcement was made by the current President of the UN Security Council, Rafael Dario Ramirez Carreno, at the start of Tuesday’s session on the humanitarian crisis in Yemen, according to the AP.
The 15 members of the Security Council rose for a minute of silence in tribute to Boutros-Ghali.
The Egyptian politician and diplomat was the first Arab to head the world organisation.
He was the sixth UN Secretary-General, serving from January 1992 to December 1996.
- » Swedish DJ Avicii Dies Aged 28
- » US First Lady Barbara Bush Dies at Age 92
- » Milos Forman Two-Time Oscar Winning Directo Dead At 86
- » Winnie Mandela, South African Anti-apartheid Crusader, Dies at 81
- » France to Pay National Tribute to Officer Killed in Friday Hostage Crisis
- » Stephen Hawking, Renowned Scientist, Dies at 76