French Ambassador to Bulgaria Warns of 'Centralized' Prosecution
The Chief Prosecutor's Office of Bulgaria is "very centralized and hierarchic", French Ambassador to Bulgaria Xavier Lapeyre de Cabanes argued on Saturday.
In an interview with private bTV station's mornign program he said that everyone working for the institution depended "on a single person": "there is no Chief Prosecutor's Office in Bulgaria, there is a Chief Prosecutor".
He opined such a structure of the prosecuting authority could be "dangerous".
The ambassador has been over the past years one of the most vocal critics of the judiciary, questioning the sysem for random allocation of cases and urging deeper reform. His supporters within Parliament have welcomed his calls, while other have described them as interference in the domestic affairs of a state.
On Saturday he was invited to comment on the latest EU Commission's report, which welcomes some of the government's plans for reform but insists it is time for implementation to deal with long-standing issues of both courts and the prosecuting authority.
Speaking of the demand by ruling parties that that the Supreme Judicial Council (VSS), the top decisionmaking body of the judiciary, resign, he stopped short of taking a side but warned the reputation of the VSS was "very low" at the moment.
He cited the developments of the past week when the council voted to replace its Representative, Sonya Naydenova, with VSS member Dimitar Uzunov, without stating clear motives.
De Cabanes explained that Naydenova enjoyed good reputation among foreign embassies to Sofia.
He said he welcomed the idea of EU experts providing assistance to Bulgarian authorities in putting the judicial reform strategy into practice.
- » Sacred Language of My Predecessors: An Exhibition on Croatian-Bulgarian Parallels
- » Ilham Ahmed: Sudan Wants to Revive Ties with Bulgaria at All Levels
- » Iraq's Embassy Hosts Photo Exhibition in Support of Mosul Offensive
- » Rajesh Kumar Sachdeva: Bulgaria Emerging as Destination for Indian Film Industry
- » Bulgaria, Sudan Mark 60 Years of Diplomatic Relations
- » Irit Lillian: History Should Not Be Most Important Element in Israel-Bulgara Relations
Gee, "Honte-romanichel" - that's sooo smart ! You're brilliant. Even if taking on someone's nick is kinda infantile and your drift to the Gypsies is kinda racist. Well - just to continue your train of thought - maybe Honterus = Honte-aux-Russes. Same to the Russians ! Or rather shame to some Russians
SHAME TO THE RUSSIANS that:
- consider themselves superior to other people just because they are Russians
- try to impose their "Russian" ways and ideas (or lack of them) to others
- blindly support a despotic дедушка just because they don't know better
- bully non-Russians and non-white people on the Russian streets
- bomb other people into submission to a bloody dictator just to show that Russia is still a great power
- and last but not least bully and insult people on the internet out of their frustrations and limited intellect
You request correctness and politeness from others ? First stop being rude and incorrect yourself.
Dear Honte-romanichel(*), I don't "pretend to be half", I am 100% Russian.
Further: the only thing 'I pretend to' is to expect any person (ambassador of ANY
state and nationality inclusive;) be correct and polite to others. Simple, right? Otherwise...
(*) First half: Honte (Fr.) = Shame
Second half: romanichel (Fr.) = gipsy
....You are "uniquely qualified" for both halves. Good luck ;)
The whole \"legal system\" here needs reform but then again France is hardly a shining example in such matters either. As for the EU, perhaps they should get their own house in order before daring to lecture anyone else about anything. On further reflection, \"the EU\'s house\" would better serve the people of Europe if it were simply demolished and consigned to the scrap-heap of History, along with other failed social and political experiments. Additional savings would be made by cancelling all EU salaries and pensions - paying idiots to destroy Europe is a crime against Reason and Democracy!