Bulgaria Allocates Additional BGN 34 M to Bilding Fence along Border with Turkey
Bulgaria’s government has approved an additional funding of up to BGN 34.1 M (EUR 17 M) for the continued construction of sections of a wire fence along the country’s border with Turkey designed to curb uncontrolled migrant inflow.
The additional financing, coming from the central government budget for 2016, would be spent by the local governments of Burgas, Haskovo and Yambol regions, in southeastern Bulgaria.
“The facility is essential to countering the migratory pressure at the Bulgarian-Turkish border which has steadily increased in recent years; it seeks to protect the state border, which is an outside frontier of the EU, and control the refugee wave,” the government said in a statement after a weekly meeting on Wednesday.
Bulgarian Interior Minister Rumyana Bachvarova said earlier this month that she hoped that the main facilities of the fence at the border with Turkey will be completed by the end of March.
- » President Radev on Vatican Visit
- » Bulgaria Needs More Reforms Before It Can Join Euro -ECB's Praet
- » Sofia, Athens Continue Exchange on Issues, Related to Future of EU and Migration
- » Angela Merkel Stands for Bulgaria in Front of the European Commission
- » Minister Ekaterina Zaharieva Takes Part In Rhodes Conference for Security and Stability
- » Bulgaria is the Country with the Most Road Traffic Deaths