Bulgaria Allocates Additional BGN 34 M to Bilding Fence along Border with Turkey
Bulgaria’s government has approved an additional funding of up to BGN 34.1 M (EUR 17 M) for the continued construction of sections of a wire fence along the country’s border with Turkey designed to curb uncontrolled migrant inflow.
The additional financing, coming from the central government budget for 2016, would be spent by the local governments of Burgas, Haskovo and Yambol regions, in southeastern Bulgaria.
“The facility is essential to countering the migratory pressure at the Bulgarian-Turkish border which has steadily increased in recent years; it seeks to protect the state border, which is an outside frontier of the EU, and control the refugee wave,” the government said in a statement after a weekly meeting on Wednesday.
Bulgarian Interior Minister Rumyana Bachvarova said earlier this month that she hoped that the main facilities of the fence at the border with Turkey will be completed by the end of March.
- » Bulgaria will Lose BGN 70 Million from the EU for Education and Science
- » The President Rumen Radev to Meet the Vice-President of the European Commission
- » The Minister of Transport and Information Technologies to Work for 5G Mobile Network in Bulgaria
- » Maria Gabriel: 'No One in Brussels Knows About the Scandal in Relation to NDK'
- » It is Expected Italy to Confirm its Position About Accepting Bulgaria in Schengen
- » Bulgarian Leaders to Take Place in a Trilateral Summit in Thessaloniki