Bulgaria's FM Urges Stricter EU Measures on Economic Migrants
Foreign Minister Daniel Mitov has opined that the EU should treat economic migrants with the same attitude it had to current member states from Central and Eastern Europe that were accession candidates back in the 2000s.
"When states in Central and Eastern Europe, including Bulgaria, were member candidates, our citizens, if they resided illegally in EU member states, they were sent back... There is no reason for the EU not to apply absolutely the same measures in absolutely the same way with regard to third countries," the Bulgarian National Radio quotes him as saying at a session of foreign ministers of EU member states in Brussels.
Mitov has been among ministers calling on the EU to distinguish between refugees and economic migrants to deal better with the migrants crisis that reached a new peak last year.
Commenting on UN Secretary General nominations, Mitov has said Bulgaria has not yet announced its endorsement for "tactical reasons".
The UN Security Council is awaiting candidacies until March. UNESCO Director General Irina Bokova is widely described as a "frontrunner", but a number of reports have suggested another Bulgarian, EU Commission Vice President Kristalina Georgieva, might also be seeking to run.
- » Prime Minister Borisov: Bulgaria will Provide EUR 500 000 to the Trust Fund for Africa
- » The Innovation Fund of Bulgaria will Pay Scholars in early November
- » A European Funding will be Provided for the Construction of the Railway Link Between Bulgaria and Greece
- » The Interior Minister Declared the Fence on the Bulgaria-Turkey Border is 100% Finished
- » Borut Pahor is Favorite for the Presidential Elections in Slovenia
- » Austrian Election Winner Sebastian Kurz Prepares for Talks form Government
What is happening is that the EU cannot afford to help those who really need help (and who would happily return home when the present conflict has ended) and those who are coming to bleed Europe dry or invade and eventually take it over it. And once these people have their EU passports there is no getting rid of them