EU Entering New Schengen Stage, UK Ambassador Believes
UK Ambassador to Bulgaria Emma Hopkins said on Tuesday the EU needs to jointly manage common borders and apply stricter control as part of a "new Schengen stage".
In an interview with private bTV station, Hopkins opined Europe was facing an unprecedented threat requiring a more efficient control of the bloc's external borders.
She also downplayed concerns voiced by many in Europe over the migrant crisis, putting emphasis on the much bigger burden on Turkey, Jordan and Lebanon, three countries which have already accepted millions of migrants from Syria.
Ambassador Hopkins also warned a distinction should always be made between the terrorism threat and the migrant flow.
In her words, the Islamic State (IS) group could be defeated if European countries joined forces.
Hopkins arrived in Bulgaria in the spring of this year.
She told bTV she enjoyed traveling and was working to learn Bulgarian.
- » Sacred Language of My Predecessors: An Exhibition on Croatian-Bulgarian Parallels
- » Ilham Ahmed: Sudan Wants to Revive Ties with Bulgaria at All Levels
- » Iraq's Embassy Hosts Photo Exhibition in Support of Mosul Offensive
- » Rajesh Kumar Sachdeva: Bulgaria Emerging as Destination for Indian Film Industry
- » Bulgaria, Sudan Mark 60 Years of Diplomatic Relations
- » Irit Lillian: History Should Not Be Most Important Element in Israel-Bulgara Relations