Germany vs Netherlands Match in Hannover Called off over Security Fears
A soccer friendly between Germany and the Netherlands in Hannover was cancelled on Tuesday, according to media reports.
The match was cancelled due to “security reasons,” AFP reported, citing police sources.
The soccer stadium, HDI Arena, was evacuated.
German Chancellor Angela Merkel and other top officials were scheduled to attend the match.
Police asked people to move away from the stadium, according to Bild.
According to Deutsche Welle, police reportedly found a suspicious object, and after shortly allowing journalists covering the match into the stadium, decided to evacuate the stadium before kick-off and cancel the match.
Security services have received information about a potential terrorist attack that should be taken seriously, according to German news agency DPA.
Hanover's police chief Volker Kluwe told German TV station NDR that a "concrete threat" attack had been uncovered, with the information concerning an explosives attack, SkyNews reported.
The Belgium vs Spain friendly which had been scheduled to take place at the King Baudouin stadium in Brussels on Tuesday evening, was cancelled earlier in the day due to security concerns following the terror attacks in Paris on Friday.
- » Russia Limits Alcohol Sales during the World Cup
- » 17 Turkish Officials have Requested Political Asylum in Greece
- » Kazakhstan Moves from Cyrillic to Latin
- » The End of the Free Wikipedia Zero for Third World
- » Children in Missouri Selling Tickets for a Raffle Prize - an Automatic AR-15
- » Over 70 Civilians were Killed in Air Strikes in Syria