Former German Chancellor Helmut Schmidt Dies at 96
Former German Chancellor Helmut Schmidt passed away at the age of 96 in his home city of Hamburg on Tuesday.
Schmidt served as Chancellor of West Germany between 1974 and 1982.
Before that he had held several ministerial positions, having successively served as Defence Minister, Economy and Finance Minister in the government of his predecessor Willy Brandt.
He has often been identified as one of the most popular German politicians after the end of the Second World War.
Schmidt is credited with helping to consolidate the postwar economic boom of Germany.
He remained a staunch Social Democrat until the end of his days.
Schmidt was an active diplomat, who sought European cooperation and international economic coordination and was one of the architects of the European Monetary System.
- » Pernik Declares Day of Mourning For the Victims From the Car Crash Near Village of Mikre
- » Weightlifting Legend Naim Süleymanoğlu Dies at Age 50
- » Andronia Popova - Roni from the Indie Band Nasekomix has Passed Away Aged 44
- » Music Legend Tom Petty Dies
- » Playboy Creator Hugh Hefner was Buried Next to Marilyn Monroe
- » Playboy Magazine Founder Hugh Hefner Dies Aged 91