UNHCR Condemns Incident with Migrant near Bulgaria's Border
The UN Refugee Agency UNHCR has strongly condemned the shooting which resulted in the death of a migrant near Bulgaria's border with Turkey, its local spokesperson, Boris Cheshirkov, has announced.
"We condemn the fact that the death of an asylum seeker from Afghanistan occurred and that it happened while he was trying to reach safety in Bulgaria and to exert his universal right to seeking asylum," Cheshirkov told the Bulgarian National Radio, also urging an "immediate, thorough, transparent, and independent" investigation into the tragic event.
Earlier, the Bulgarian Interior Ministry's Chief Secretary, Georgi Kostov, warned that migrants from Afghanistan (such as the total of 54 people of which the victim's group consisted) arrested at the borders are to be extradited to their homeland under FRONTEX regulations.
- » Plane with 25 People Aboard Crashes in Canada
- » A Fallen Window from an American Helicopter Injured a Child in a Japanese School
- » One Man was Killed in an Explosion at an Austrian Gas Terminal
- » There are Reports of a Bomb in Israeli Embassy in Sofia
- » Fire Destroys Pagoda Believed to be Tallest in Asia
- » Bus Caught on Fire on the Boulevard "Tsarigradsko Shose"