UNHCR Condemns Incident with Migrant near Bulgaria's Border
The UN Refugee Agency UNHCR has strongly condemned the shooting which resulted in the death of a migrant near Bulgaria's border with Turkey, its local spokesperson, Boris Cheshirkov, has announced.
"We condemn the fact that the death of an asylum seeker from Afghanistan occurred and that it happened while he was trying to reach safety in Bulgaria and to exert his universal right to seeking asylum," Cheshirkov told the Bulgarian National Radio, also urging an "immediate, thorough, transparent, and independent" investigation into the tragic event.
Earlier, the Bulgarian Interior Ministry's Chief Secretary, Georgi Kostov, warned that migrants from Afghanistan (such as the total of 54 people of which the victim's group consisted) arrested at the borders are to be extradited to their homeland under FRONTEX regulations.
- » Bulgarian Diplomat Monitors the Situation of the Injured in the Bus Crash in Egypt
- » Breaking: Bus Crash in Egypt Leaves 22 Bulgarians Injured
- » Cirque du Soleil Performer Dies after Fall in Florida
- » Drunk Passenger Forced a Plane from Poland to Egypt to Make an Emergency Landing in Sofia
- » 17 People were Injured in a Railway Accident in Slovakia
- » Electric pillar fell on children in Pazardzhik