MEP Ska Keller: Bulgaria Has Important Role in EU's Plans on Refugees
Being an external border of the EU, Bulgaria has an important role in the plans of the Union on addressing the refugee crisis.
This was stated by Member of the European Parliament and Vice-President of the Group of the Greens/European Free Alliance, Ska Keller, in Plovdiv on Sunday, private bTV station informs.
Keller called on the Bulgarian government to be more open towards accepting refugees and to make efforts towards convincing Bulgarians that as citizens of the EU, they have to help the refugees.
In her words, although four member states of the EU have refused to implement the decision on the quotas, it had been taken by majority and therefore refugees should be accepted.
She criticised the Russian intervention in Syria as not being beneficial as it resulted in more people fleeing the country.
According to her, Russia claimed that its airstrikes targeted Islamic State (IS), but in practice Moscow bombed areas where IS is not present.
Keller noted that the refugee crisis provides an opportunity for the EU to once again reaffirm its founding principles – rule of law, human rights and solidarity.
- » The EC is Considering Setting Up a New Energy Agency
- » The First Informal Meeting of EU Energy Ministers is Held in Sofia
- » Bulgaria and 15 other EU Countries will Work For a European Supercomputer
- » Bulgaria will Participate with 14 Projects at the European Space Agency
- » Bulgaria's Presidency of the EU Council is Halfway through but the Cultural Program has not Begun
- » 24 EU Countries Sign Artificial Intelligence Pact in Bid to Compete with US & China