15 Districts in Bulgaria under ‘Code Yellow’ Weather Alert over Heavy Rain
15 districts in central and eastern Bulgaria are under a “code yellow” weather alert due to heavy rainfall, according to a forecast of the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences (BAS).
The “code yellow” districts include Pleven, Lovech, Plovdiv, Pazardzhik, Smolyan, Veliko Tarnovo, Gabrovo, Stara Zagora, Haskovo, Kardzhali, Ruse, Targovishte, Sliven, Yambol, and Burgas, where 20-25 liters of rain per square meter are expected.
Bulgaria’s southwestern region will be relatively rain-free on Monday.
The temperatures will keep dropping, the maximum levels being 15-20 °C, and in the southwestern regions and the Black Sea regions around 22-23 °C.
In the mountains the weather will be foggy, with rainfall in many regions and moderate wind.
On Tuesday the rainfall will be concentrated mainly in the eastern part of the country and temparatures will drop further to 10-15 °C.
The showers are expected to stop on Wednesday and the weather is expected to become warmer.
Torrential rain and flooding hit Bulgaria’s northwestern city of Shumen Sunday night. Nobody was injured but the flooding caused significant material damage, especially to road infrastructure, according to reports of Standard daily. The local hydrometeorological service reported 41 liters of rain per square meter in the course of an hour and 20 minutes.
On Sunday afternoon, the Plovdiv-Svilengrad road was blocked for hours on end due to flooding, causing a car pileup on a road section of over 10 kilometers.
- » NIMH: Rains will Start From the West and will Spread Throughout the Western Half of the Country
- » The Municipality of Sofia will Plant a Forest near Suhodol
- » Mostly Sunny Weather with Temperatures of up to 22-27°C
- » NIMH: Mostly Sunny Today with Temperatures of Up to 22-27°C
- » Those who Died in the California Fires are Now 42
- » Xi Jinping: China will Fight to Stop Climate Change