Bulgaria PM Skeptical of EU Approach to Migrant Crisis
Only with the cooperation of both the United States and Russia can the conflict in Syria be solved, Bulgarian Prime Minister Boyko Borisov has said.
Speaking in front of reporters in Parliament, where he arrived to urge support for constitutional changes, he also commented on the migrant crisis and the roots it has in the Syrian conflict.
His remark comes just hours before an EU summit begins Wednesday to affirm leaders' commitment to a migrant relocation plan adopted by interior ministers on Tuesday.
Tens of thousands of refugees in Italy and Greece are to be relocated to other EU member states under the quota scheme opposed by Hungary, the Czech Republic, Slovakia, and Romania.
Borisov, however, has raised doubt as to whether the decision - also backed by Bulgaria - will yield any results.
In his words, Europe alone could not solve the crisis.
"I am going to attend the council, to spend money and to say what I am also telling you - and what won't be heard."
"I am departing for Brussels with displeasure. Interior ministers failed to agree, lots of money will again be spent on this extraordinary council, [the issue is being tackled] on the surface, solutions are sought that can in no way solve the problem," the Bulgarian News Agency quotes him as saying.
"We have declared: give us 1200 people and we end with quotas, but they won't decide upon it," Borisov has warned, possibly referring to statements by other government officials according to whom quotas are not permanent solution since more relocation waves will be needed in the future.
- » Bulgaria is Among the EU Countries with the Highest Number of Old Aircraft
- » Kristalina Georgieva: I Expect Bulgaria to Enter the Eurozone Waiting Room Next Year
- » Bulgarian PM: EU integration of the Western Balkans Would be Among the Priorities of the Bulgarian Presidency of the EU
- » Maria Gabriel: An Expert Group at European Level will Make a Common Definition of the Issue of False News
- » Minister Pavlova: Bulgaria is Completely Ready for its EU Presidency
- » Bulgarian PM: Dialogue is the Only Solution For Stability in the Former Soviet Space