Russia Must Allow Examination of Plane Cargoes in Bulgaria - FM
Foreign Minister Daniel Mitov has said Bulgaria will allow Russian cargo aircraft to overfly its territory only if Moscow agrees to inspections.
Sofia denied clearance to Russian planes en route to Syria on Tuesday which Moscow said were carrying "humanitarian aid".
Authorities in Bulgaria, however, maintain they received information about weapons on board.
Sofia has not yet received an official demand for explanation from Russia, the Bulgarian National Radio reports Mitov as saying before holding a keynote speech at a forum dedicated to Black Sea security and NATO's role in the wider region.
He cited EU restrictions to the supply to Syria of "certain goods" as a reason which prompted the Foreign Ministry to deny the overflight request.
Mitov is known for typically tough remarks on Russia's foreign policy, especially in light of the developments in Ukraine.
Opposition parties known for stronger ties to Moscow, however, demanded on Tuesday morning that the minister be questioned in Parliament over the decision to ban the overflight, a request which the majority of MPs voted down.
- » Putin and Trump Might Meet at International Forum in Vietnam
- » Canadian Mineral Exploration Company has Signed a 3-Year Exploration Agreement with Bulgaria
- » The US Secretary of State made a Surprise Visit to Iraq
- » Minister of Foreign Affairs Ekaterina Zaharieva will be on a Two-Day Visit to France
- » A European Funding will be Provided for the Construction of the Railway Link Between Bulgaria and Greece
- » President of the House of Representatives of Greece: 'Greece will be Side by Side with Bulgaria During the Presidency of the Council of the EU'
Do you want Romania to take advantage of the situation and tell you off to the Americans that "those stupid Bg are trying to play shrewdly and please both their and our masters (that is you, the Americans) and the Russians. See? We are more loyal to you than Bg are. Now promise us that, when you finish destabilizing Bg in order to fullfill your promise to the Turks of giving them parts of Bulgaria, you will give 'our' 'Southern Dobruja' "
Is that the new instruction from the US or are you just trying to please both the Americans and the Russians?
I hope you Bg realize that the Americans don't care about humanitarian aid to Assad's loyal people, be they civilian or not so why not do what the Americans want???