Suspected Jihadists Detained at Bulgaria Border 'Linked to IS'
The five men arrested at the Bulgaria-Macedonia border last week had symbols of the Islamic State (IS) group on their mobile phones, Sputniknews claims citing Russian and Macedonian media.
The men attempting to cross into Bulgaria were detained after offering a bribe to border police.
Apart from photos of decapitated people and jihadist prayers, their phones contained "video clips promoting the IS terrorist group", Sputnik notes.
Since the national security and counter-intelligence agency (DANS) took over the investiation last week, Bulgarian authorities have not yet commented on the issue.
- » 23 Customs Officers Detained at Kulata Checkpoint in an Anticorruption Operation
- » Bulgarian Student Found Dead in Ukraine
- » Bulgarian Police Bust Super Modern Greenhouse for Growing Marijuana
- » Bulgarian Man Grievously Injured After He Was Hit by Car in Birkirkara
- » 4 Syrians Face Terrorism Charges in Germany
- » Arrests in Sofia Over Sale of Driver's Licenses
Asylum seekers are poor because the have fled their homes with only the possessions they could bring with them.
Where in the story did it say their mobile phones were "top of the range?" Often, a mobile phone is cheaper and more reliable, not to mention more convenient when you are traveling as a refugee than a land line. What would you expect them to do?
Designer sportswear can be bought second hand for a dollar or less in many third world countries. In Spain, where I live, I pay 2€ per garment.
The money to pay trafickers and to bribe border guards comes from the jobs they had before their country became embroiled in war, or their savings, or any of the other normal places that people get money.
So no, actually there is no point whatsoever in asking where these men got their money.