Bulgarian Grandmaster Veselin Topalov Defeats Reigning World Chess Champion
The Bulgarian chess grandmaster Veselin Topalov defeated the reigning world champion Magnus Carlsen from Norway at the Sinquefield Cup, which is taking place in St. Louis.
In a match from the opening round of the tournament, Topalov defeated Carlsen, who retired at the 40th move.
The Bulgarian, who played with the black pieces, took an advantage from a mistake of his opponent in the 17th move.
This is his second victory over the world champion in the space of two months after he defeated him at the Norway Chess Supertournament, which the Bulgarian won in June.
In the second round, Topalov is to face Hikaru Nakamura from the US, the Bulgarian starting with the white pieces.
- » Grigor Dimitrov's Photo is Among the 17 Most Popular For 2017
- » CSKA Sofia Eliminated Ludogorets in the Bulgarian Cup Competition
- » Dimitrov Dive Volley Named Masters 1000 Golden Hot Shot (Video)
- » Ludogorets Faces Milan in the 1/16-finals of the Europa League
- » Borussia Dortmund Changed Coach after Eighth Game without Victory
- » Champions League Draw, Round of 16