Bulgaria's Former Vice President Atanas Semerdzhiev Dies at 90
Former Bulgarian Vice President (1990-1992) Gen. Atanas Semerdzhiev has died, the BNR radio station reported on Friday.
Semerdzhiev was born on 21 May 2024.
He was Army Chief of Staff from 1962 until the fall of communism in 1989. After the ouster of former communist leader Todor Zhivkov in November 1989 Semerdzhiev served as Interior Minister in the cabinets headed by Georgi Atanasov and Andrei Lukanov.
In 2002, Semerdjiev was sentenced to a 4-1/2 years in prison on charges of ordering the destruction of files compiled by communist-era State Security service. His prison sentence was rescinded in 2003 and the criminal charges were dropped three years later.
- » US First Lady Barbara Bush Dies at Age 92
- » Milos Forman Two-Time Oscar Winning Directo Dead At 86
- » Winnie Mandela, South African Anti-apartheid Crusader, Dies at 81
- » France to Pay National Tribute to Officer Killed in Friday Hostage Crisis
- » Stephen Hawking, Renowned Scientist, Dies at 76
- » Givenchy, French fashion Icon, Dies Aged 91