Bulgaria's Former Vice President Atanas Semerdzhiev Dies at 90
Former Bulgarian Vice President (1990-1992) Gen. Atanas Semerdzhiev has died, the BNR radio station reported on Friday.
Semerdzhiev was born on 21 May 2024.
He was Army Chief of Staff from 1962 until the fall of communism in 1989. After the ouster of former communist leader Todor Zhivkov in November 1989 Semerdzhiev served as Interior Minister in the cabinets headed by Georgi Atanasov and Andrei Lukanov.
In 2002, Semerdjiev was sentenced to a 4-1/2 years in prison on charges of ordering the destruction of files compiled by communist-era State Security service. His prison sentence was rescinded in 2003 and the criminal charges were dropped three years later.
- » Andronia Popova - Roni from the Indie Band Nasekomix has Passed Away Aged 44
- » Music Legend Tom Petty Dies
- » Playboy Creator Hugh Hefner was Buried Next to Marilyn Monroe
- » Playboy Magazine Founder Hugh Hefner Dies Aged 91
- » At the Age of 90, Poet John Ashbery Died
- » 20 Years Since Princess Diana's Death