Fence along Bulgaria-Turkey Border to be Completed by End 2015, IntMin Bachvarova says
By the end of the year, the fence along the entire Bulgarian- Turkish border will become a reality.
The statement was made by the recently appointed Interior Minister Rumyana Bachvarova during her visit at the border point near Lesovo.
She added that the construction that is a part of the measures taken to restrict the refugee influx in the country is currently being planned and outlined.
''Construction will be more difficult along several locations but I am hoping that in the next month, or month and a half we will have considerable progress and the construction works will start,'' Bachvarova added in a statement, as quoted by the Bulgarian National Radio. ''I am hoping that the entire project will be completed by the end of the year. I am hoping that my colleagues will manage to complete it by the deadline, as it's extremely important.''
An additional measure for dealing with the high number of refugees entering the country was stated to be a coordination center - a joint unit of the authorities of Bulgaria, Greece and Turkey.
''The agreement is ready, my Turkish colleagues are ready to sign it, I am currently awaiting a reply from the Greek authorities,'' the Interior Minister added. ''A circumstance we should consider is that there will be elections in Turkey in the beginning of June. I am hoping that we will manage to agree on and sign the document by that time.''
An additional 100 police officers will be employed to strengthen the border protection units, as stated by Head of the Border Police Directorate Milen Penev.
- » Bulgaria Continues to Return to Turkey Asylum Seekers
- » Bulgaria, Greece, Romania and Croatia will help the European Integration of the Western Balkans
- » At least 4 Migrants Die as Boat Capsizes in Black Sea
- » Bulgarian President: 'Fight Against Corruption Must be Uncompromising'
- » Head of state: The Strategic Partnership Between Bulgaria and the United States is a Prerequisite For a Far more Active Cooperation in Investments
- » Intensified Police checks During the European Day Without a Road Death