Bulgarian Border Police Officer Injured in Pursuit of Illegal Immigrants, Traffickers
A Bulgarian border police officer was injured in a car chase near the village of Sladun, Svilengrad Municipality, in an attempt to detain a group of illegal immigrants and traffickers.
The group was spotted near the Bulgarian-Turkish border.
The patrol vehicle began to chase the two vehicles in which the illegal immigrants were being smuggled.
Alexander Raykov, senior police officer, was hit by one of the cars as he tried to approach it.
Raykov was taken to a Plovdiv-based hospital, where he underwent surgery for an arm injury.
His life is not in danger.
Three Bulgarian nationals and seven illegal immigrants were arrested, according to the Border Police unit.
Pre-trial proceedings were opened into the case.
- » Russia Could Have Laundered Up to USD 80 B Via Moldova, Latvia
- » E-mails About Non-existent Debt Steal Personal Data, Passwords
- » Drunk Man Tries to Steal a Car with Small child in Sofia
- » Migrant Injured as Border Police Chase Smugglers' Car
- » Three Bombs Explode in Central Sofia, Police Looking into Hooliganism
- » Bulgaria's Ex-Ambassador to US Quits Warsaw Job after Cosmetics Incident - JTA