Ex Military Medical Academy Head Charged with Deliberate Mismanagement
The Sofia District Military Prosecutor’s Office has pressed charges against Stoyan Tonev, former director of the Military Medical Academy (MMA) in Sofia and former MP from ruling party GERB, for deliberate mismanagement and conclusion of disadvantageous contracts.
According to the prosecuting authority, Tonev allowed financial damages to be incurred at the MMA in the period November 2004 – December 2007 as a result of two disadvantageous contracts with a private company.
Tonev resigned from the post of MP and left the parliamentary health committee over scandalous revelations about deals during his term in office at the MMA.
A report of the Defense Ministry indicated that the Clinic of Dermatology at the MMA had brought losses of around BGN 10 M for the hospital during Tonev’s term in office as head of the MMA.
The losses were generated at the expense of the profit of a private company operating at the dermatology unit of the hospital.
The contract between the private firm, Derma Prim, and the MMA, was signed 11 years ago, at the time when Tonev was head of the hospital.
Instead of fetching revenues for the hospital, the partnership with the private company only incurred losses.
The Director of the Clinic of Dermatology at the MMA, Prof. Miroslava Kadurina, controls an 84% stake of Derma Prim.
- » 2 Police Officers Arrested and Charged with Drug Distribution and Taking Bribes
- » Turkey Arrests 4 People Over Explosion at Tupras Refinery
- » 73-year-old Man gave BGN 100 000 to Telephone Scammers in Sofia
- » The Police Arrested a Commander from Islamic State in Special Operation in Sofia (Video)
- » Police Chief in Plovdiv Detained on Suspicion for Involvement in Telephone Fraud
- » Bulgarian Crooks who Posed as Masters Games Athletes Jailed 8 Months For Bank Fraud