Ex Military Medical Academy Head Charged with Deliberate Mismanagement
The Sofia District Military Prosecutor’s Office has pressed charges against Stoyan Tonev, former director of the Military Medical Academy (MMA) in Sofia and former MP from ruling party GERB, for deliberate mismanagement and conclusion of disadvantageous contracts.
According to the prosecuting authority, Tonev allowed financial damages to be incurred at the MMA in the period November 2004 – December 2007 as a result of two disadvantageous contracts with a private company.
Tonev resigned from the post of MP and left the parliamentary health committee over scandalous revelations about deals during his term in office at the MMA.
A report of the Defense Ministry indicated that the Clinic of Dermatology at the MMA had brought losses of around BGN 10 M for the hospital during Tonev’s term in office as head of the MMA.
The losses were generated at the expense of the profit of a private company operating at the dermatology unit of the hospital.
The contract between the private firm, Derma Prim, and the MMA, was signed 11 years ago, at the time when Tonev was head of the hospital.
Instead of fetching revenues for the hospital, the partnership with the private company only incurred losses.
The Director of the Clinic of Dermatology at the MMA, Prof. Miroslava Kadurina, controls an 84% stake of Derma Prim.
- » Dozens have Died in a Series of Attacks in Afghanistan
- » Bulgarian Used Fake Spotify Playlists to Make Money
- » 400 Kilos of Cocaine was Found at the Russian Embassy in Argentina
- » A Breakthrough in uTorrent Puts at Risk the Safety of Millions of Users
- » Cybercrime Hurting Businesses to Tune of $600 billion
- » A man was Found Murdered This Night in the Lyulin District