Mayor of Bulgaria's Haskovo Proposes Gated Refugee Camps
Harmanli Mayor Hristo Liskov has sent a letter to Bulgarian PM and all political parties in Parliament. He has stated that the temporary refugee camp in the city should become gated.
The letter specifies 10 cases of incidents of criminal nature serving as justification for the proposal, as reported by Mediapool news website.
''More police reinforcements need to be provided in public places in the city,'' Liskov said.
The request is based on popular public opinion and civil protests, as announced by the Haskovo municipality.
Last year the European Commission rejected the proposal made by Bulgarian government to create gated refugee camps in the country. The Commission stated that such conditions would be similar to imprisonment and should be used only in extraordinary cases.
On Wednesday Bulgarian Parliament decided to continue the construction of the fence at the border with Turkey.
- » Three Dead, One in Serious Condition After Car Accidents in Last 24 hours
- » Sunny Weather Today, Maximum Temperatures 31°-36°
- » Two dead, 18 injured in car accidents in last 24 hours
- » Today is the Official Start of Astronomical Summer
- » NIMH: Yellow Code for Strong Wind in 8 Regions
- » SpaceX delays Bulgaria Satellite Again, Plans 'Doubleheader'