Bulgarian Cinema Celebrates 100th Anniversary
Bulgarian cinema celebrates its 100th anniversary on Tuesday, its birthday being the showing of the movie “Balgaran e galant” (“The Bulgarian Is Gallant”) in 1915.
The comedy is the first Bulgarian black-and-white silent movie, which depicts the random meeting between Balgaran and a young lady.
Sadly, a copy of the movie, directed by Vasil Gendov, has not been preserved, electronic daily Dnevnik reports.
Apart from being the director of the movie, Gendov is also its scriptwriter and leading actor.
The celebrations of the anniversary are to continue throughout the year.
The Bulgarian National Film Archive celebrates the centenary at the Odeon Cinema, where a variety of movies, documentaries, animations and nature documentaries will be shown.
The programme follows the development of Bulgarian cinema throughout the decades.
The scarce number of movies preserved from the period prior to the Second World War will be presented in January, while February will be dedicated to the movies of the 1950s.
The best movies produced after 2010 will be shown in December.
Each of the three decades that have been most productive for Bulgarian cinema – the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s will be presented in two months.
Each projection will be preceded by a newsreel or an animation from the respective decade, while the most significant documentaries will be shown on Mondays.
The Bulgarian National Television (BNT) is also participating in the celebration of the centenary with its sequence of 100 favourite Bulgarian movies, which started airing in 2014.
Among them are “Orkestar bez ime” (“A Nameless Band”), “Vchera” (“Yesterday”), “Kuche v chekmedzhe” (“A Dog in a Drawer”), “Toplo” (“Warmth”), “Dzift” (“Zift”), “Iztochni Piesi” (“Eastern Plays”) and “Svetat e golyam i spasenie debne otvsyakade” (“The World is Big and Salvation Lursk Around the Corner”).
- » Theodor Ushev Shows for the First Time in Sofia an Immersive Art Installation and a Mixed Reality
- » "The Shape of Water" Took the Award of American Film Critics
- » Modigliani Art Exhibit Found to be Full of fakes
- » An Interactive Exhibition Will Welcome the Guests to the Opening Ceremony For the Bulgarian Presidency of the Council of the EU
- » "Rolling Stones" have the Most Successful Tour of the Year
- » The Alternative and Experimental Iranian Singer SEVDALIZA Comes to Sofia