Ancient Tomb Discovered in Downtown Varna
An ancient tomb has been discovered during repair works in the center of the Black Sea city of Varna.
The repair teams stumbled upon the tomb on Thursday. Its approximate whereabouts had been known since the beginning of the 20th century, the Bulgarian National Television reports. Back then, it was briefly explored but sealed as construction was ongoing throughout Varna.
Archaeologists say the object, lying on Nezavisimost Square between the city theater and the State Archive, was located beyond the walls of Odesos, the ancient city that was once situated where Varna is now.
An option to start restoration and include the tomb into the square's landscape.
- » Bulgaria Displays Ancient Treasures In Cooperation With Other European Countries
- » Gold Treasure of Nagyszentmiklos Goes on Display in Sofia
- » Antique Artifacts and their Stories on Sozopol’s Past
- » Bulgarian Archaeology 2016 to Feature Last Year's Most Thrilling Finds
- » Nearly 600 Antique Coins Donated To Silistra History Museum
- » Bulgaria's Ancient Theatre in Plovdiv Older by Nearly a Century