Ancient Tomb Discovered in Downtown Varna
An ancient tomb has been discovered during repair works in the center of the Black Sea city of Varna.
The repair teams stumbled upon the tomb on Thursday. Its approximate whereabouts had been known since the beginning of the 20th century, the Bulgarian National Television reports. Back then, it was briefly explored but sealed as construction was ongoing throughout Varna.
Archaeologists say the object, lying on Nezavisimost Square between the city theater and the State Archive, was located beyond the walls of Odesos, the ancient city that was once situated where Varna is now.
An option to start restoration and include the tomb into the square's landscape.
- » Der Standard: Antiquities Traders Have Little to Fear of Bulgarian Authorities
- » Unique Byzantine Coin Discovered in Bulgaria's Balchik
- » Bulgarian PM Unveils Archaeological Site with Museum Near Sredets
- » Excavation of Bulgaria's Largest Thracian Mound to Begin in May
- » UNESCO, Italy Join Forces to Protect Cultural Heritage from Extremists
- » Egypt's 'Indiana Jones' to Reveal Details of Tutankhamun's Death in Sofia Lecture