Brussels Threatens Bulgaria With Court Action Over Environment Issues
The European Commission warned Bulgaria that it might sue it in the Court of the European Union over the Natura 2000 network and bird protection, reports the Sega daily.
According to Brussels, Bulgaria must take urgent measures for enlarging the Natura 2000 network and take additional measures for bird protection.
Currently Bulgaria has 114 protected zones, but the size of some of them, mostly in the Rila mountain, is below the required minimum and they have to be enlarged.
If Bulgaria fails to do so within two months, the EC will take the case to the Court of the EU, warned the Commission.
This is the second occasion on which the EC take issue with bird protection in Bulgaria. The first one was in 2008 and concerned the protected zones in Kaliakra, where the large wind parks pose danger to the migrating birds. The case is already in the EU court.
- » Tropical Storm Brings Flooding to Philippines
- » Contaminated Air has a Detrimental Effect on Adolescent Psyche
- » Fourth Quarter in the Capital Protests Against the Air Pollution
- » NIMH: Mostly Sunny with Maximum Temperatures of 13-18°C
- » 150 New Trees were Planted in the Lauta Park in Plovdiv
- » Scientists Found Microorganisms in Antarctica that were Thought to be Unable to Live on Earth