Bulgaria without Censorship's Nikolay Barekov to Remain MEP
Ex-journalist Nikolay Barekov, who heads the Bulgaria without Censorship-led coalition that came sixth in Sunday's early elections, has renounced his lawmaker seat, the party said in a statement.
He has taken the step to retain his seat in the European Parliament.
Barekov has already submitted his request at the Central Electoral Committee (CEC) that his name be withdrawn from party lists in the cities of Plovdiv and Varna, in both of which he was on top.
"My colleagues from [the EU Parliament's European Conservatives and Reformists] party applied positive pressure on me to develop my career at a high level and to be among the leading MEPs in the Energy Commission, as well as in the EU delegation negotiating with Russia and Iran," the statement quotes him as saying.
- » GERB, Reformist Bloc Leave Door Open for New Gov't Talks
- » CEC Fines DPS For Campaign Trail Solicitation In Foreign Language
- » Bulgaria's Parliament to Begin Work on October 27
- » Ataka's Volen Siderov Leaves Consultations at Bulgarian Presidency
- » Bulgaria's GERB, Reformist Bloc to Hold Gov't Consultations
- » GERB, DPS Talks on Government Formation Kick Off