Bulgaria 'Third-Biggest' Human Trafficker in EU
Human trafficking in Bulgaria intensified three times between 2005 and 2012, a human rights foundation estimates.
Data provided by the Gender Alternatives Foundation reveals there are 221 Bulgarian victims of human trafficking in 2005 and 684 seven years later, Milena Kadieva, a lawyer working at the foundation, was quoted by the website Dariknews.bg as saying.
Apart from sexual exploitation, labor exploitation has also turned into a major aim of traffickers, Kadieva argued.
She noted not only women, but also men fell victim to trafficking.
The lawyer cited figures of the EU's statistical body Eurostat showing Bulgaria is currently ranking third among the 28 member states in terms of the number of people smuggled across the country's borders.
- » Meeting of Heads of Parliamentary Committees for Union Affairs Held in Sofia
- » Borisov to the MEPs: If there is so much Corruption, How are we Always First in Elections (Video)
- » Boyko Borisov Presents the Presidency's Priorities to the European Parliament
- » Experts Argue Whether Prices Would Rise if Bulgaria Introduces the Euro
- » The Speech of Donald Tusk Delivered in Bulgarian (Video)
- » Euronews: Bulgaria is Applying for Schengen by Strictly Guarding its Border with Turkey
It is a consumer paradise after all.
And everyone is selling what is available.
The engineers have finished.... no more healthy construction workers too..
But gipsy girls are available
and prostitution in Netherlands and Germany is legal...
that is pimps are not punished...
so we are not to blame... in Bulgaria pimps are punished.