564 Bulgarian Villages Had 0-9 Residents in end-2013
Out of a total of 5009 villages in Bulgaria, 564 have a population of 0-9 people, according to the National Statistical Institute (NSI).
According to NSI data by December 31, 2013, there were a total of 395 settlements with a population of up to 9 people, while 169 settlements had zero permanent residents and 60 settlements had one permanent resident.
A total of 66 Bulgarian settlements had a population of two, 55 settlements had a population of three, 41 settlements had a population of four, 45 settlements had a population of five, 35 settlements had a population of six, 31 settlements had a population of seven, another 31 settlements had a population of eight, and 31 other settlements had a population of nine.
The villages with no permanent residents were registered in 12 districts, while the villages with a population of up to 9 were registered on the territory of 22 districts.
The northern Bulgarian district of Gabrovo registered the largest number of villages with zero permanent residents, 63, and the largest number of settlements with a population of up to 9, 112, meaning that 175 settlements out of a total of 349 in the Gabrovo district were uninhabited or had a one-digit population.
A total of 1677 villages in Bulgaria had a population of less than 100 people.
A total of 724 villages had a population of 100 to 200 people, a total of 517 villages had a population of 201-300 people, and a total of 402 villages had a population of 1001-2000 people.
One Bulgarian village registered a population of 5001 – 6000 people, the northeastern village of Aydemir, Silistra district.
The biggest Bulgarian village, Lozen, Sofia district, had a population of 6322, registering in the category of 6001 – 7000 people.
A total of 2389 villages were bigger than the smallest Bulgarian town of Melnik, which had a population of 208 in end-2013.
- » Bulgarian High School Students Win Gold, 2 Silver Medals at International Olympiad in Informatics
- » Inactivity Rate of Young People in Bulgaria at nearly 73% in 2014
- » Robbie Williams to Perform With His Father at Bulgaria's Spirit of Burgas
- » Bulgaria Will Have World's Most Rapidly Shrinking Population in Next 35 Years - UN
- » Thracian Treasures Return to Bulgaria After Exhibition in Louvre
- » Temperatures in Bulgaria to Exceed 40 Degrees as Heat Wave Reaches Its Peak