KTB Accountants Released on Recognizance
Sofia City Court released on Thursday Bulgarian Corpbank's Chief Accountant Mariya Dimova and her deputy Borislava Kyuchukova on a recognizance.
Dimova has spent the past weeks under house arrest, and Kyuchukova was the only one out of four detainees that had so far remained in custody.
The court ruled that there was no risk for the defendants to commit any other crime if they are freed, as both have a clean record and are currently unemployed.
Thursday's decision means that all four detainees in the KTB affair have been freed of custody.
Dimova and Kyuchukova, alongside Corporate Commercial Bank (Corpbank or KTB)'s CEO Orlin Rusev and Chief Cashier Margarita Petrova, were earlier accused of being part of an embezzlement scheme that allegedly led to the draining of BGN 206 M from the bank.
The two accountants are facing charges of complicity to the embezzlement which the prosecutors claim was committed by Rusev and Petrova.
During the court's session Nikolay Rangelov, lawyer of Dimova, said that the interim report of the Bulgarian National Bank (BNB)-appointed quaestors, who are in charge of carefully examining the situation at KTB, revealed the BGN 206 M were in fact not "missing" from the bank, but were tantamount to the liabilities a company was yet to pay to the bank.
Chief Cashier Margarita Petrova was released last week, while KTB's chief executive Orlin Rusev was freed of detention on a BGN 10 000 bail in mid-July.
On Monday, Rusev and Dimova were interrogated again at the Sofia Investigation Office, but declined to comment afterwards.
- » Automobile Administration Agency Officials from Pleven Charged with Abuse of Office
- » Municipal Officials in Brezovo Charged over Pension Fund Fraud Scheme
- » Bulgarian Hacker Gets 30-Month Jail Term in US
- » Second Instance Confirms Jail Term For Ahmed Dogan's Attacker
- » Varna Court Asked to Extradite Convicted Drug Smuggler to Germany
- » Deputy Mayor, Municipal Secretary, Banking Official Arrested over Pension Scheme Fraud