US Air Force F-15 Deploy to Bulgaria for Bilateral Training Event
A dozen US Air Force F-15s and some 180 personnel have been deployed at Bulgaria’s Graf Ignatievo Air Base to take part in a bilateral exercise with the Bulgarian Air Force.
The two-week training exercise codenamed Thracian Eagle 2014 comes at a time when US’ Eastern European partners and allies are concerned about rising tensions between Russia and Ukraine.
The purpose of the exercise is to conduct training and focus on maintain joint readiness while building interoperability, a Pentagon spokesman has said.
Bulgarian Air Force fighters MiG 29 and MiG 21 as well as Su-25 ground attack aircraft will take part in the exercise together with 12 F-15C Eagle from the 493rd Fighter Squadron based at Royal Air Force Lakenheath, England.
- » FT: Vision 2020 Could Be Seen as 'Distancing Bulgaria From Moscow'
- » Former Joint Forces Command Chief Appointed President's Secretary
- » NATO Crisis Management Center Opens in Bulgaria
- » Bulgaria, Romania to Hold Joint Air Policing Exercise
- » Bulgaria's Joint Forces Command Chief Replaced
- » Ukraine Crisis is Risk for European Security – Bulgaria's Defense Min