WWF Launches River Conservation Campaign in Bulgaria
The international environmental organization WWF launches a national campaign for the conservation of rivers in Bulgaria.
"The number of natural rivers left in Bulgaria is insignificant. We take river resources for granted, but we do not realize that they are almost exhausted," said Ivan Hristov, head of the Water program at WWF, as cited by Nova Tv.
"Every year we witness increasingly devastating floods due to the narrowing of rivers and the outdated, dangerous infrastructure around them," Hristov added.
Straightening river beds, placing embankments and meander cutoffs speed up the river current. This in turn accelerates the erosion of the river beds and alters the natural balance.
Sand and gravel digging from rivers for construction purposes has devastating consequences not only for the ecosystem of the river, but for the inland, as well.
- » Until 17:00h on April 27, Transit Through the Vitinya Tunnel on Hemus Motorway Is Stopped
- » Antarctica: Preparation For 26th Bulgarian Antarctic Expedition Started
- » Code Yellow Over Strong Wind in 12 Regions In Bulgaria
- » The Temperatures Go Up
- » Today We Celebrate The World Earth Day
- » The Existence of Uranium Was Found in Velingrad