Bulgaria 9th by Civil Society Development Out of 29 CEE Countries
Bulgaria ranks ninth in terms of civil society development among 29 countries in Central and Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union.
A so-called NGO Sustainability Index is measured in these 29 countries, Lyuben Panov, program director of the Bulgarian Center for Not-for-Profit Law (BCNL), told Bulgarian National Radio.
“As a whole, Bulgaria's ninth position is a good one,” Panov said. “On the other hand we come next to the last of all other EU member states. We perform quite badly in certain parameters, such as financial sustainability and organizational capacity.”
There is still no Council for Civil Society Development at the Prime Minister's office, and there is no transparency in the non-governmental sector financing, Panov pointed out.
- » Wildfire Rages Near Bulgaria's Boboshevo
- » Close to 2.5 Million Bulgarians Live Below Poverty Line - Study
- » Monument to Elias Canetti Unveiled in Bulgaria's Ruse
- » Thracian Polearm Among Archaeological Finds in Bulgaria's Perperikon
- » 4-Magnitude Earthquake in Greece Felt in Bulgaria
- » Wildfire Forces Evacuation of 10,000 Campers in southern France