Mayor of Varna District Arrested in Special Operation
The Mayor of the Mladost residential district in Varna, Hristo Hristov, was arrested in a special operation of the State Agency for National Security (DANS) on Wednesday.
The district police directorate in the Black Sea city of Varna announced that they had cooperated in the arrest of Hristov and made clear that the full investigation and the reason for the arrest was only known to DANS.
At this stage it is clear that the investigation has been assigned to the Specialized Prosecutor's Office, according to reports of Sega daily.
Hristov's lawyer informed Thursday noon that the detention of his client had been extended by another 72 hours.
He also said that Hristov had been charged with participating in an organized crime group.
- » Bulgarian Police Detain 39 Irregular Migrants near Burgas
- » Bulgarian Man Detained over Arms Trafficking in Hungary
- » Ex Head of Bulgaria's Military Medical Academy Indicted
- » Sofia Court Upholds 10-Year Sentence of Ex Spy Chief
- » German Police Arrest Three Bulgarians over Bank Card Skimming
- » Europol Busts Greek-Albanian Drug Trafficking Network with Bulgarian Connection