Mayor of Varna District Arrested in Special Operation
The Mayor of the Mladost residential district in Varna, Hristo Hristov, was arrested in a special operation of the State Agency for National Security (DANS) on Wednesday.
The district police directorate in the Black Sea city of Varna announced that they had cooperated in the arrest of Hristov and made clear that the full investigation and the reason for the arrest was only known to DANS.
At this stage it is clear that the investigation has been assigned to the Specialized Prosecutor's Office, according to reports of Sega daily.
Hristov's lawyer informed Thursday noon that the detention of his client had been extended by another 72 hours.
He also said that Hristov had been charged with participating in an organized crime group.
- » Number of People Detained Over Truck with Dead Migrants in Austria Rises to Seven
- » Bulgarian Police Detain Man over Austria Migrant Deaths
- » Suspected Jihadists Detained at Bulgaria Border 'Linked to IS'
- » Human Smuggling in Bulgaria Is Punishable by Ridiculous Fines - Foreign Minister
- » Bulgaria Charges Two People with Making False Identity Documents
- » Sofia Confirms Arrest of 3 Bulgarians in Hungary over Migrant Truck Deaths