Mayor of Varna District Arrested in Special Operation
The Mayor of the Mladost residential district in Varna, Hristo Hristov, was arrested in a special operation of the State Agency for National Security (DANS) on Wednesday.
The district police directorate in the Black Sea city of Varna announced that they had cooperated in the arrest of Hristov and made clear that the full investigation and the reason for the arrest was only known to DANS.
At this stage it is clear that the investigation has been assigned to the Specialized Prosecutor's Office, according to reports of Sega daily.
Hristov's lawyer informed Thursday noon that the detention of his client had been extended by another 72 hours.
He also said that Hristov had been charged with participating in an organized crime group.
- » Prosecuting Authority Resubmits Indictment against ex-Deputy Parliament Speaker Hristo Biserov
- » Austrian Police Find 42 Migrants Crammed into Bulgarian-registered Van
- » Head of Bulgaria’s National Science Fund Arrested on Suspicion of Murder
- » Bulgarian Prosecutors Extend Deadline for Investigation of 2012 Burgas Bus Bombing
- » Anti-Mafia Unit of Bulgaria’s Interior Ministry Neutralized 17 Crime Groups since February 24
- » Bulgaria Detains Syrian, Afghan Citizens Citing Security Threat