Bulgaria's Newly Appointed 'Elections Minister' Steps Down
Krasimira Medarova, announced by President Rosen Plevneliev as a minister in charge of elections in the caretaker government, has decided to step down.
Medarova, who was to oversee the preparation of the October 5 snap poll, announced her decision in an open letter to the media, just two days after President Plevneliev issued a decree to appoint her.
She said "public response" to her appointment stood behind her decision not to take the portfolio.
If she retained the position, this could "cast doubt over the fairness of the upcoming parliamentary elections," Medarova, who is perceived as affiliated to center-right GERB party, explained.
Earlier on Sunday a think-tank called the Right Policies Institute, have so far called on Plevneliev to backpedal and point another expert to oversee the early elections.
Medarova was the CEC's Chair between 2011 and 2013, in the second half of GERB government's tenure and also during the first months of Plamen Orsharski's cabinet. She had to vacate the position early in 2014 as the new Electoral Code prevented acting judges to be members of the watchdog.
An emergency meeting was scheduled at the Supreme Judicial Council (SJC) on Monday at Medarova's own request.
The session was aimed at temporarily removing Medarova from her office at the Sofia Court of Appeals, as her membership at the Central Electoral Commission (CEC) during the Bliznashki cabinet's tenure would have again been incompatible with the position of a magistrate.
In the letter, however, she declared she would withdraw the request.
- » PACE Pre-Electoral Delegation Urges Bulgarians to Vote on Oct 5
- » Bulgaria without Censorship 'to Block Border with Turkey' before Elections
- » Smaller Parties 'to Deliver Surprises' at Early Elections - Expert
- » Bulgarian Party Withdraws 2 Candidates over Affiliation to Fmr State Security
- » GERB Leads Ahead of Snap Vote, Public Trust of Institutions Low-Survey
- » Bulgaria's Interior Ministry Suspects 1,000 People of Vote Buying