Spark Triggered Explosion at Ammo Factory near Bulgaria's Kostenets
A spark triggered the explosion at the TEREM ammunition plant in Kostenets, according to caretaker Defense Minister Velizar Shalamanov.
Shalamanov and Nikolay Nikolov, head of Bulgaria's fire safety and civil protection department, announced Friday that a spark between two ammunition disposal processes had landed on sacks of TNT, triggering a blast.
An explosion at the state-owned ammunition disposal facility at around 8.40 am on Friday left ten people injured, including five men and five women, according to reports of the Bulgarian National Radio.
Nikolov explained that the women had been near windows at the time of the blast and had mostly suffered cuts from the pieces of glass
He added that the blast wave had broken the windows of nearby houses and that there was no other damage.
Shalamanov assured that TEREM would cover the damage expenses.
A team of prosecutors, investigators and military police officers are to examine the site of the incident as part of an in-depth probe.
- » Bulgarian Air Force Pilatus PC-12 Safely Lands on Belly, No Injuries Reported
- » Army Lends Support in Extinguishing Wildfire in Bulgaria's Haskovo Region
- » Wildfire Rages Near Bulgaria's Boboshevo
- » Wildfire Forces Evacuation of 10,000 Campers in southern France
- » Wildfire in Bulgaria's Rila Mountain Contained
- » Bulgarian Cameraman Drowns While Trying to Rescue Teenager