Spark Triggered Explosion at Ammo Factory near Bulgaria's Kostenets
A spark triggered the explosion at the TEREM ammunition plant in Kostenets, according to caretaker Defense Minister Velizar Shalamanov.
Shalamanov and Nikolay Nikolov, head of Bulgaria's fire safety and civil protection department, announced Friday that a spark between two ammunition disposal processes had landed on sacks of TNT, triggering a blast.
An explosion at the state-owned ammunition disposal facility at around 8.40 am on Friday left ten people injured, including five men and five women, according to reports of the Bulgarian National Radio.
Nikolov explained that the women had been near windows at the time of the blast and had mostly suffered cuts from the pieces of glass
He added that the blast wave had broken the windows of nearby houses and that there was no other damage.
Shalamanov assured that TEREM would cover the damage expenses.
A team of prosecutors, investigators and military police officers are to examine the site of the incident as part of an in-depth probe.
- » Trains from Sofia to Northwestern Bulgaria Suspended Due to Woman's Death
- » Russian Tourist Drowned in the Black Sea
- » 33 Injured in a Collision of Two Trains in Philadelphia
- » A Woman Drove Her Car into a Group of People in the US
- » The Fire at Rostov-on-Don has Covered 120 buildings
- » At Least 20 Tourists are Injured after an Accident in Antalya