Prosecutors Submit Bribery Indictment against Deputy Mayor of Pleven
The Sofia City Prosecutor's Office has submitted an indictment against Alexey Zelov, Deputy Mayor of Pleven, with the Pleven District Court.
The indictment was submitted on August 5 after a brief investigation.
Zelov, then Deputy Mayor of Pleven in charge of Finance, faces charges of soliciting and accepting a bribe in end-April 2014 in exchange for fast-tracking the payment of a due payment by the municipality for services.
The offence carries a penalty of 3-10 years of imprisonment, a fine of BGN 20 000 and withdrawal of the right to hold certain offices and disqualification for a period of up to 3 years, according to a media statement of the prosecuting authority.
On April 22, 2014, Zelov was arrested at the Pleven Municipality HQ in a special operation of the State Agency for National Security (DANS) under the supervision of the Sofia City Prosecutor's Office.
Zelov has been remanded in custody.
- » Bulgarian Authorities Detained 243 Human Traffickers in First Half of Year
- » Number of People Detained Over Truck with Dead Migrants in Austria Rises to Seven
- » Bulgarian Police Detain Man over Austria Migrant Deaths
- » Suspected Jihadists Detained at Bulgaria Border 'Linked to IS'
- » Human Smuggling in Bulgaria Is Punishable by Ridiculous Fines - Foreign Minister
- » Bulgaria Charges Two People with Making False Identity Documents