Prosecutors Submit Bribery Indictment against Deputy Mayor of Pleven
The Sofia City Prosecutor's Office has submitted an indictment against Alexey Zelov, Deputy Mayor of Pleven, with the Pleven District Court.
The indictment was submitted on August 5 after a brief investigation.
Zelov, then Deputy Mayor of Pleven in charge of Finance, faces charges of soliciting and accepting a bribe in end-April 2014 in exchange for fast-tracking the payment of a due payment by the municipality for services.
The offence carries a penalty of 3-10 years of imprisonment, a fine of BGN 20 000 and withdrawal of the right to hold certain offices and disqualification for a period of up to 3 years, according to a media statement of the prosecuting authority.
On April 22, 2014, Zelov was arrested at the Pleven Municipality HQ in a special operation of the State Agency for National Security (DANS) under the supervision of the Sofia City Prosecutor's Office.
Zelov has been remanded in custody.
- » Russia Could Have Laundered Up to USD 80 B Via Moldova, Latvia
- » E-mails About Non-existent Debt Steal Personal Data, Passwords
- » Drunk Man Tries to Steal a Car with Small child in Sofia
- » Migrant Injured as Border Police Chase Smugglers' Car
- » Three Bombs Explode in Central Sofia, Police Looking into Hooliganism
- » Bulgaria's Ex-Ambassador to US Quits Warsaw Job after Cosmetics Incident - JTA