Prosecutors Submit Bribery Indictment against Deputy Mayor of Pleven
The Sofia City Prosecutor's Office has submitted an indictment against Alexey Zelov, Deputy Mayor of Pleven, with the Pleven District Court.
The indictment was submitted on August 5 after a brief investigation.
Zelov, then Deputy Mayor of Pleven in charge of Finance, faces charges of soliciting and accepting a bribe in end-April 2014 in exchange for fast-tracking the payment of a due payment by the municipality for services.
The offence carries a penalty of 3-10 years of imprisonment, a fine of BGN 20 000 and withdrawal of the right to hold certain offices and disqualification for a period of up to 3 years, according to a media statement of the prosecuting authority.
On April 22, 2014, Zelov was arrested at the Pleven Municipality HQ in a special operation of the State Agency for National Security (DANS) under the supervision of the Sofia City Prosecutor's Office.
Zelov has been remanded in custody.
- » IS Group Suspected of Carrying out Terror Attack at Istanbul’s Ataturk Airport
- » Turkish President Condemns Ataturk Airport Terror Attack
- » Death Toll Rises to 36 in Istanbul's Ataturk Airport Suicide Bombing
- » At Least 36 Dead as Two Blasts Rock Istanbul’s Ataturk Airport
- » Bulgarian Authorities Detain Bus With 65 Illegal Migrants Near Tsarevo
- » Bulgaria Drops Case against Border Police Officer Who Shot Migrant