Reformist Bloc to Elect Chair in September
Leaders of parties that forged the right-wing Reformist Bloc last year have announced they are to decide on a single Chair next month.
Though there are no official candidates, the bloc's former Spokesperson, Radan Kanev, is likely to get the office, the website Dnevnik.bg reports.
Kanev also heads the Democrats for Strong Bulgaria (DSB), often described as the major electoral force within the bloc.
At a nine-hour-long meeting that ended late on Wednesday, the heads of the all six parties confirmed the alliance's unity and declared they would run together at October 5's early elections.
Prior to their talks, a majority at the Reformist Bloc's Civic Council delivered a statement. demanding that the coalition be consolidated and that Radan Kanev become its Chair.
Kanev surprisingly stepped down as the group's Spokesperson on Monday, citing plans of certain figures within the alliance to join hands with former Prime Minister Boyko Borisov's center-right GERB party.
He stressed it was "virtually Borisov" who ruled the bloc.
So far the Reformist Bloc has not had a leader, but only a Spokesperson, and all the leaders of parties within the bloc represent it during talks.
The Civic Council believes the alliance might collapse if the election of a single leader is further delayed.
An official declaration was released and sent to the media following the Reformist Bloc meeting.
In the text they announced a congress would be held during the first half of September and also that steps would be taken to consolidate the structure of the coalition which should grow into a single political subject.
The bloc will also seek dialogue with with other political parties before the elections.
- » Tens of Thousands Attend Bulgarian Socialist Fest
- » Bulgaria's PM Says His Party 'Has No Candidate' for Presidential Vote
- » Bulgaria’s Reformist Bloc to Pick Its Presidential Candidate from Seven Nominees
- » Bulgarian Prosecutors Charge Four Police Officers with Migrant Smuggling
- » Bulgarian Supreme Court of Cassation Gives the Green Light to Registration of DOST Party
- » Parliament Reelects Biser Petkov as Head of State Social Security Agency