Bulgaria Nominates Kristalina Georgieva to Take Over EU Foreign Policy
Bulgaria's caretaker Prime Minister Georgi Bliznashki announced his government was raising Commissioner Kristalina Georgieva's candidacy to become the EU foreign policy chief.
"We propose Kristalina Georgieva not just as a member of the EU Commission, but as the Commission's Vice President and High Representative [of the Union] for Foreign Affairs [and Security Policy," Focus News Agency quoted Bliznashki as saying.
We will put forth our national effort so that our current Commissioner obtains a higher position.
This will be a great recognition for our country... for Bulgaria's foreign policy, for Bulgaria's diplomacy," the PM explained during his cabinet's first ministerial meeting.
He described Georgieva's nomination as "convincing [and] dignified".
The interim Prime Minister added he would seek support from Sergey Stanishev, former socialist party Chairman and current leader of the Party of European Socialists (PES), for Georgieva as a contander to take foreign affairs.
On Tuesday President Rosen Plevneliev had announced Georgieva's candidacy would be confirmed at the first session of the Council of Ministers.
Prior to Bliznashki's statement, Bulgarian interim Foreign Minister Daniel Mitov said his institution "will do its best" to support Kristalina Georgieva as the Bulgarian EU Commissioner candidate.
The name of Georgieva put forward in mid-July by former Prime Minister Plamen Oresharski.
- » Prime Minister Borisov will Participate in the Regular European Council Meeting
- » Bulgaria has One of the Strongest Employment Growth Rates in the EU for the Quarter
- » Bulgaria is Among the EU Countries with the Highest Number of Old Aircraft
- » Kristalina Georgieva: I Expect Bulgaria to Enter the Eurozone Waiting Room Next Year
- » Bulgarian PM: EU integration of the Western Balkans Would be Among the Priorities of the Bulgarian Presidency of the EU
- » Maria Gabriel: An Expert Group at European Level will Make a Common Definition of the Issue of False News