Velizar Shalamanov, Caretaker Minister of Defence
Velizar Shalamanov was born on December 24, 1961.
He has a master's degree in radio electronics from the National Military University in Dolna Mitropolia, a master's degree in management and organisation of operational and tactical intelligence from the Sofia Military Academy in Sofia and a doctoral degree in cybernetics from the Kiev University.
Between 1984 and 1998 he served as an army officer and as a head of the intelligence sector in the general staff.
Between 1998 and 2001 he was a deputy defence minister. In 2001-2009 he worked as an advisor to the chairperson of the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences on national security and defence. Shalamanov also taught in various Bulgarian universities.
He has been director of various NGO's and NATO consulting agencies and a member of various committees.
He speaks English and Russian.
- » Bulgarian Parliament Approves Pension Reform at Second Reading
- » Bulgarian President Criticises Parliament for Ignoring Citizens' Will
- » Bulgarian MPs Decide Only Question on E-Voting to Appear on Referendum
- » Bulgarian Deputy PM: Anticorruption, Judicial Reform Are Two Sides of Same Coin
- » Reform of Voting Rules, Judiciary Key to Solving Bulgaria's Problems – President
- » Bulgaria’s President to Present Referendum Questions in Parliament