Bulgaria 'Has Not Demanded EU Help for Floods' - Commissioner
Sofia has not issued a request to receive technical assistance from the EU, Kristalina Georgieva, the Commissioner in charge of crisis response, said Monday.
Georgieva wrote on Facebook that no such demand had been received, as authorities decided "they could handle [the situation] alone".
She explained that if the country wished to be granted assistance, either the EU's Civil Protection Mechanism or the European Solidarity Fund.
The Commissioner also asserted that Brussels institutions were closely monitoring the developments in Bulgaria's northwest following recent floods there.
Bulgaria earlier announced it would use the latter option to receive aid that would be earmarked to tackle the aftermath of the past weekend's floods in the northwestern town of Mizia, but also previous disasters that hit the country's central and northeastern regions.
Two people died over the weekend as floods, caused by torrential rains and most likely fomented by cracks at nearby dams, took two lives in Mizia and destroyed 40 houses.
- » Search Team Finds Dead Body of Missing Young Man in Bulgaria’s Maritsa River
- » Body of Girl Found Nearly Month After She Went Missing in Danube River Near Bulgaria's Silistra
- » Man Dies After Pursuit with Police in Bulgaria's Plovdiv
- » One Pupil Injured After Being Stabbed by Schoolmate in Sofia
- » Rescuers in Bulgaria's Plovdiv Continue to Search Maritsa River for Missing Young Man
- » Cultural Heritage House Collapses in Bulgaria's Veliko Tarnovo
These incompetent Commie-Turkish scum are too dumb to even request aid that is rightfully their's to ask on behalf of Bulgaria and freely and willingly available from the EU. Its no wonder the BSP & DPS will be completely destroyed at the upcoming elections.