Kristalina Georgieva 'Should Comment on EU Foreign Affairs' - FM
Bulgaria's nominee to become the EU's High Representative should be more vocal on foreign issues of the bloc, outgoing Bulgarian top diplomat Kristian Vigenin said.
Georgieva was officially declared candidate for the post of EU foreign policy chief (High Representative of the Union for Foreign Policy and Security Affairs) by Prime Minister Plamen Oresharski on July 16, just a week before the cabinet stepped down.
Vigenin himself was reportedly preferred by the ruling Bulgarian Socialist Party (BSP), of which he is a member (and represented it as MEP until 2013) as Bulgaria's EU Commissioner candidate. He has repeatedly pointed chances of Georgieva to take over the EU's diplomatic service from Catherine Ashton are very slim.
In his last press conference as Foreign Minister, he commented on national and EU-level developments over the 14-month tenure of the government in resignation.
He hailed achievements of the cabinet in the field of energy diplomacy and added his office had worked on dialogue among all countries that are due to host the South Stream pipeline, website Dnevnik.bg reports.
Vigenin thus repeated his own comments from Wednesday, when he told the Bulgarian National Television Sofia would hold on to its commitment to European rules regarding South Stream.
He once again touched the issue of the latest Western sanctions against Russia imposed earlier this week over the Ukraine crisis.
Bulgaria "will not bear" direct consequences after the new round of restrictions, but possible reactions of Moscow could cause repercussions, the Foreign Minister stressed.
On Wednesday Vigenin argued the measures would have "a negative impact" on the entire EU.
- » Macedonian PM: 'We Are not Only Friends with Bulgaria, but We Have Become Allies
- » Bulgarian President: Our Relationship with London Will be Active After Brexit
- » Italian PM: We Can Talk About Further Investments in Bulgaria
- » Bulgarian Vice President Will be on a Working Visit to the Republic of Albania
- » Russian Ambassador to the US: The Meeting Between Putin and Trump in Danang was Encouraging
- » Putin Reported that Relations with Turkey were Fully Restored