Seven Sigma Policemen Arrested in Bulgaria's Capital
The chief of the Sigma sub-department at the Sofia Police Directorate (SDVR) has been detained alongside six other policemen from the unit, the website Dariknews.bg quotes officials as saying.
Ivaylo Vasilev, who heads the sub-department, has been imposed detention for 72 hours over financial abuse, authorities reveal, following their previous report that he is to remain in custody for 24 hours.
The operation has been conducted under the supervision of the Specialized Prosecutor's Office.
Bulgaria's Interior Ministry is due to comment on the issue later on Thursday.
All Sigma employees have been summoned to Sofia, including those on a holiday, and a total of 20 employees are currently being interrogated.
The Sigma motorcycle patrol unit is responsible for maintaining public order, carrying out investigations, escorting criminals to court or to an airport in case of an extradition.
Among those escorted was Serbian drug lord Sreten Josic, who was extradited to the Netherlands in 2002 after Interpol issued an arrest warrant.
- » Bulgarian Police Arrests Sofia Store Armed Robbers
- » Armed Robbers of Sofia Store Now Established
- » Bulgaria Police Detain 2 Endangered Turtle Eaters
- » New Armed Robbery Taped in Sofia, Released on Facebook
- » Bulgarian Customs Seize Estimated BGN 15 M Worth of Smuggled Anabolic Steroids
- » Police Dismantle Criminal Group Stealing Luxury Cars in Bulgaria