Seven Sigma Policemen Arrested in Bulgaria's Capital
The chief of the Sigma sub-department at the Sofia Police Directorate (SDVR) has been detained alongside six other policemen from the unit, the website Dariknews.bg quotes officials as saying.
Ivaylo Vasilev, who heads the sub-department, has been imposed detention for 72 hours over financial abuse, authorities reveal, following their previous report that he is to remain in custody for 24 hours.
The operation has been conducted under the supervision of the Specialized Prosecutor's Office.
Bulgaria's Interior Ministry is due to comment on the issue later on Thursday.
All Sigma employees have been summoned to Sofia, including those on a holiday, and a total of 20 employees are currently being interrogated.
The Sigma motorcycle patrol unit is responsible for maintaining public order, carrying out investigations, escorting criminals to court or to an airport in case of an extradition.
Among those escorted was Serbian drug lord Sreten Josic, who was extradited to the Netherlands in 2002 after Interpol issued an arrest warrant.
- » Man’s Body Found in Front of Residential Building in Sofia, Regions is Closed Off
- » Car Explodes in Yahinovo Village, One Person Detained
- » Sofia Regional Prosecutor’s Office Detains 49-year-old Man Accused of Murder in Etropole Town
- » About 10 Cars Burn Down at a Parking Lot on Montevideo Str.
- » Man and Woman Detained For the Murder of the Taxi Driver in Varna
- » Taxi Driver Found Dead In His car in the Region of Varna